To first start off this post: I got my white pants. They are awesome. Keep Calm.Carry On.
Okay, so I have literally been dying to blog about the happenings that went down in my science class today. Seriously, as everything was being said I thought "I will be blogging about this." Alright, so I'm taking a science class that is designed for elementary education majors-its pretty basic BUT its stuff that I literally learned in 8th grade, so digging back in my brain for that information takes a lot more time than I would of ever thought. We have a TA named...Rick...(names have been changed) he wears a three piece suit everyday. Literally. EVERYDAY. And has this real classy comb over. So, our teacher announces that Rick has a few words to share with us about putting all of our time and effort into this class. To be honest, I didn't really think much of it....but then...he started speaking. Pretty sure my jaw was on the ground for most of his 30 minute lecture to us. Let me point out the main points:
- He reminded us that since the church pays for half our tuition, our grades are not ours, but the Lords.
- He said something about the honor code and how we signed it. Honestly...I have no idea why he brought up the honor code, it has no relevance to his speech.
- He told us that just because we are girls does not mean we should bank on the idea of marrying a guy that will have a stable job. Mind you, hes talking to a room full of GIRLS. Not one male in the class.
- He then told us a story about how he grew up with two parents who did not have a college education and how it has affected him. I'll admit, it was sad.
- He then told us how disappointed he was with some of our grades. I for one was proud of the grades I received, but I suppose some weren't up to his level of greatness.
- He then said that if we ever needed help with anything to just call or email him. But he then listed things we MUST do before we ask for his help. Also, you can only call him between the hours of 6:30-8:30 T/W/Th./F. Its also his home phone, so be prepared to talk to his younger siblings or his mom. Who I'm pretty sure he's a little bitter to, considering how her actions has affected his childhood.
Our teacher then got up and pretty sure she knew we were all a little annoyed. She just explained to us that she wants us to put forth the effort, not only in her class, but in all our classes. She told us to:
"Enjoy today, even if its busy"
I for one really liked that. I have a very busy semester and plan on putting in all the effort and time that I need to. I just don't feel as though our TA needed to get up and act the way he did. Some girls did openly admit that they were offended. If I got one of those "disappointing" grades, I probably would of been too.
I have loved my decision to attend BYU-Idaho. I love praying before my classes and I love how we can relate things we learn to the gospel. I know I'm lucky to be attending school here, I also realize this school is to make us better people and be successful in life. I just think Rick the TA needs to realize that as well.
I'm done ranting for the night.
KeepCalm.CarryOn.
Glad to hear that the crazy's didn't all go to Provo. I couldn't handle anymore than there are down here! Ignore the power trip and keep trudging along. I've learned that you have to do your best and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks...even our friend Rick.
ReplyDeletei am sitting next to shmally, nortney, and kalex. (names have been changed.)
ReplyDeleteOh geeesh. Why are some mormons soooooo weirrd. I love u.
ReplyDelete