Monday, March 21, 2011

Madelynn

I blog via: Kelle Hampton
Kelle's blog has always inspired me.
I remember the day I read this.
{If you have a few hours--I recommend it}
Anyways.
Kelle reminded me that today is...
National Down Syndrome Day
My little sister, Maddie, has Down Syndrome.
I honestly couldn't imagine my life without her.
She has made our family stronger and better people.
She is always happy.
Hearing her say "I miss you, Ally" melts my heart.
Maybe sometimes I tear up, but really who wouldn't?

She gets into trouble and says things she probably shouldn't say.
She calls my dad by his actual name Michael and she thinks our mom is "her mom"
She brings joy into my life.
At.All.Times.
 She loves a good tan. Therefore, she is a Mullin.
 She is my sister&my best friend.
Plus, she makes family dinners so much more
E.N.J.O.Y.A.B.L.E
 When you're sad or upset. She knows--she'll be the first one to come ask you if your okay or to say sorry.  She has a heart of gold.
She'll change your life.
She changed my friends.
She changed mine.
She changed my families.
We wouldn't be a family without Madelynn.

My favorite quote from Kelle Hampton:
"My point is, throwing out “the R-word” is usually done in ignorance, and the fact that the word used inappropriately is meant to refer to a lack of intelligence is well, ironic. So, I guess this is all suffice to say, out of kindness and respect for everyone and the way this word is degradingly used, please amend the existence of this word in your vocabulary and teach your children to do the same.


Mary Oliver says, “Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.” And I think that’s what awareness is all about."
I don't want to add anymore to that.
Just remember everyone deserves respect.
Even if their not like you. 

keepcalm.carryon

5 comments:

  1. i love this post. everything about it speaks the truth. --i totally read 'nella's story' a few months back, and it was definitely a tear jerker/inspiring!

    your little sister is so cute, and you have a gorgeous family!

    XO,
    SSDS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.my.heart. Seriously, adorable and beautiful! She is so full of joy:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! My neighbor had down syndrome too, and she is adorable! :D Just found your blog, and I am a new follower! :D

    ReplyDelete